Mitragyna Speciosa or the popularly known Kratom is an herb which has been today used by many people, medicinal experts and doctors for treatment of various problems like anxiety, depression, opioid symptoms. Kratom is also put to use for enhancing energy, sexual desire, muscle pain, cognition and even induce appétit. As a part of the coffee family, the properties of the Kratom leaves are much similar to the Coffee ones with compositions almost similar too. Therefore, it is intriguing how certain compound changes make Kratom a stress reliever and curer of anxiety to a much greater extent that even the researchers are trying to come up with better medicines with the help of this leaf.
Active ingredients of Kratom
There are about more than 40 alkaloids present in Kratom which in one way or the other help in curing mental stress, anxiety, depression, decreased appétit etc. These active ingredients have different high and low in different varieties of Kratom strains which makes them suit particular treatment.
Here are some of the active ingredients of Kratom:
- Mitragynine:This alkaloid makes for about 66% of the composition of Kratom. Mitragynine modulates the postsynaptic receptors because of which Kratom gets the properties of mood elevation and brain stimulation. This compound is a caster of happy hormones too which promotes treatment of anxiety and depression.
- 7-hydroxymitragynine:This compound is the second most prominent alkaloid in Kratom with a ratio of about 2% in a fresh leaf. Despite being so less in quantity the effect of this component is active and influential. Reflective of the name this is the hydroxylated analog of Mitragynine and thus is an active receptor of mu-opioid.
- Mitraphylline:MTP or the Mitraphylline as an opioid compound consists of about 1% of the content and is an oxindole derivative. Despite being so less in percentage the compound is known to have anti-depressant, anti-amnesic, immune-stimulant and anti-hypertensive properties. It serves as a mood elevator too!
- Rhychophylline:Oxindole based alkaloid with less than 1% of presence in the composition, the compound provides for brain stimulation as well as anti-inflammatory and anti-aggregant properties.
- Mitragynine Pseudoindoxyl: an arrangement of 7-hydroxymitragynine, the Mitragynine Pseudoindoxyl is actually a fermentation of the Kratom. This compound is known to have euphoric effects on humans and is a huge contributor to the pain-relieving properties of the leaf of Kratom. When the Kratom leaves are used in their most natural state, they have the most impact!
Other ingredients of Kratom
The active ingredients of Kratom go on to provide for the most relevant and recognized properties of the leaf while the other notable alkaloids like Speciogynine, paynantheine, Ajmalicine etc have less impact and differ from strain to strain. It is mostly the other alkaloids and their percent composition in the Kratom that increases it receptiveness towards some effects while even casts the side-effects people may have. While Kratom is known to have anti-depressing, stress-relieving, and mood elevating properties it is used for a variety of medicinal purposes and it is safe to say the other ingredients play a big role in the choice to track the problems and use it accordingly!