It is indeed a type of diet that allows complete reduction or elimination of carbohydrate sources to force the body into a phase of ketosis. In other words, a metabolic state that uses fat as its main source of energy.
Thus increasing the concentration of ketones, weight will be significantly reduced in less time than a traditional diet.
This diet is initially indicated in patients with epilepsy. It is now one of the favorite diets for people who want to take care of their figure..
However, given the limitations it contains, The ketogenic diet is not suitable for all people. It must indeed be observed with great care, only for a few days.
What is this diet? How should we follow the rules? What are its disadvantages? Then we reconstruct all the most relevant details to answer these questions.
What is the ketogenic diet and what are its benefits?
The ketogenic diet is a diet based on increased consumption of protein and healthy fats and minimizing carbohydrate consumption. The body will then go through a process of ketosis.
Ketosis is a metabolic condition in which increase in ketone concentration, which will promote rapid weight loss. By removing the body from carbohydrates, the body will be forced to take energy from fat.
Once glycogen stores are depleted (taken from carbohydrates), the consumption of fatty acids will increase and the presence of ketones will increase during this process.
Benefits of the ketogenic diet
The main benefit of a ketogenic diet is weight loss. Unlike other diets, this causes rapid and noticeable weight loss.
- We limit the consumption of animal fat and increase the consumption of liquid fat sources. Therefore, another benefit is the reduction of high cholesterol and triglyceride levels.
- The release of ketone bodies in the body will produce decreased appetite This is not necessarily the case with low calorie diets. This is why ketone diets generally do not cause a feeling of anxiety that causes cravings for overeating.
- Finally, and no less important, it should be noted that the weight loss that occurs is mainly due to fat. Thanks to its protein content, the muscle mass is intact.
How to make a ketogenic diet?
The ketogenic diet is characterized by the elimination or reduction of foods rich in carbohydrates, Increased protein fatty foods and acids.
Read also: What are proteins and what do they contribute to diet?
Among the foods that are allowed in this diet are:
- Chicken, turkey or mutton
- Fish and seafood
- Vegetable oils
- Dried fruits and seeds (small portions)
- Fruit and vegetables (in some cases in small portions)
Prohibited foods are:
- Alcoholic beverage
- Refined flours and sugars
- Sauces and spices
- Whole milk
- Cereals and vegetables
- Sweet fruits
Disadvantages of the ketogenic diet
As with other diets, the ketogenic diet is the source of some controversy. While some people consider this diet appropriate and effective, others warn of the side effects it can cause to health.
- The ratio of carbohydrates in this diet is these levels are recommended as part of a balanced diet, only 10% of total calorie intake is recommended.
- This diet also causes a reduction in vitamins and minerals, which can eventually lead to nutritional deficiency and imbalance.
- This diet also leads to a reduction in fiber intake, which can cause digestive problems and constipation.
- Increasing ketones in the body can cause bad breath. That is why it is necessary to strengthen your oral hygiene.
- The liver may be overloaded. This diet is not suitable for people with fatty liver or heart problems.
- In some specific cases, this diet may impair concentration and memory.
- If ketones rise en masse in the blood, it can cause ketoacidosis, a complication that can cause damage to vital organs.
Also read: 5 practical tips to say goodbye to joint pain
Therefore, it is important to assess your health if you want to follow a ketogenic diet.
The risks of this diet can be high if you have a disease.
Even if the results of this diet are infamous and satisfactory, it is not recommended to extend this diet for more than 30 days, because can cause nutritional deficiency.
If your goal is to lose weight and maintain a healthy weight, the best alternative is to choose a balanced diet that meets all the nutritional needs of the body. Do not hesitate to see a doctor.
7 ketogenic foods to lose weight
Ketogenic foods can help you lose weight fast. They can also help you improve certain health conditions Read more “